Monday, October 10, 2011

Scarlet Letter Dialect Journal, 8 Ch. 4 pg. 69

I come to the inquest with other senses than they possess. I shall seek this man as i have sought truth in books; as I have sought gold in alchemy. The is a sympathy that will make me conscious of him. I shall see hm tremble. I shall feel myself shudder, suddenly and unawareness. Sooner or later, he must needs to be min!"

Roger wants to know who the man is that had the baby with Hester that he will have to find out somehow other than from Hester. He will use alchemy, to figure out who it is. Alchemy is like magic, which was frowned upon at this time. He is going to keep searching for this man until he finds him. He want him to suffer.

1 comment:

  1. Alchemy is also connected to evil and the idea of greed (though Chillingworths' greed is not materialistic).

    ReplyDelete