Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Vocabulary Words- 2

1) Disdain- Verb
    Show contempt 
I showed disdain when I told the teacher he was wrong. 


2) Dogmatic- Adjective
      Asserting opinions in a arrogant manner
The dogmatic man on the street wouldn't let me go until I joined the colt. 

3) Egregious- Adjective

      Extraordinary in some bad way
The egregious cheating made the student get caught and have detention.

4) Emulate- Verb

      To try to equal or excel
Mr. Fielding always tells us we should emulate Kaitlyn's study habits. 

5) Dissipated- Verb

      To become scattered or dispersed 
The flood dissipated and the town was a wreck. 



6) Diminution- Noun

      Lessening, Reduction
The diminution of the students in the school, made the hallways less crowded. 

7) Disparage- Verb

      To belittle someone, or something
The coach told us to not disparage our team mates by telling them how much they suck. 


8) Effervescent- Adjective
      Lively, and Sparkling
The effervescent little girl was so happy after she won the award for the "most excited," after the game. 


9) Elucidate- Verb
      To make clear
The PE teacher had to elucidate the rules on how to play badminton. 


10) Distraught- Adjective
      Distracted, deeply agitated
I was distraught after I was told I was adopted. 

No comments:

Post a Comment